My poem "The Rescue" with Explanation

     I wrote this poem "The Rescue" back in 2004.  I was cleaning out the preschool rooms at church and this sweet romantic picture of a woman being rescued kept swirling in my head.  It wouldn't subside so I sat down in one of the small chairs, and not having any paper began jotting down what came to me on a paper towel.  It is not based on any certain person, place or thing.  It is merely a picture of God's redemptive grace and salvation.  Having been told it's very deep and some may not get it's meaning, I've written out the synopsis for you and a note to explain why I used the word lover to describe the savior.  My hope is the poem might cause you to consider the God who loves us even while we are filthy and trapped and rescues us out of that darkness into His magnificent presence.                 


(Synopsis)
     A woman in captivity dreams about being in a place where she feels secure.   She is trapped with Enemy (the Devil) who endlessly entices her with treasures and suitors to tickle her fancy (anything that will make her feel special, pretty and loved).  He offers the drug of fleshly pleasure and she drinks it. 
     The King (God in all His majesty) comes to her rescue exposing what's been in the dark.  The Enemy does not want her to see just how horrible and torturous the lair has actually been so he entices her more.  But because of the light from above, the woman can see the Enemy has actually stripped her of everything (naked).  She is as weak as a newborn (helpless) filled with all the poison (deadly sin) she's been drinking.  She instantly feels fear, shame, guilt and sorrow and she fears the King will abandon her when He sees just how filthy she is.  But He doesn't leave choosing instead to lift her out of the pit and give her living water (a metaphor for salvation through Christ) that cleanses her.   
     Please Note:  The use of the word lover to describe what the King becomes to her isn't intended to mean anything sexual in nature.  It is meant to imply an intimate relationship where she is completely surrendered.  Her savior becomes the one who loves her most.  The one in whom she goes to find her safety and security.  The fear is gone.  She can enter His chamber (his house) and recline in sweet embrace (a picture of closeness) because of His grace.     


Now please enjoy... The Rescue.  


The Rescue                  

Protected in His arms,
Nestled safely against His chest,
Feeling His love so tenderly,
Experiencing a King's majesty.
As he binds His mighty sword,
Ready to fight for my soul,
He lifts my eyes up towards His face,
And does not see my ugliness.
He fights to preserve my purity,
I'm justified before my mockers,
In Him, I am beauty undaunted,
Restored, renewed and wanted.
Fighting for my honor,
He gives to me His word.
To show me how He treats His love,
As He embraces me from above.
A lover like no other is He,
He calls me his own, beloved.
He, my holy, righteous King.
Fulfilled in Him, I have no need.
This, my dream, filled my mind,
While trapped in Enemy's lair.
I sipped on poisonous drink,
Unbeknownst with every sip.
A dream until He called to me,
So powerful, but sweet His voice
Wooing me out the darkened pit
Offering a love with no compare.
His might, His power, His splendor
O' how it enticed my heart!
But for my sole adoration, I would see,
My Enemy not release so easily.
He enticed me increasingly,
Teasing me with endless pleasures,
Promising unending treasures.
Filling my pride, promising beauty,
Unmatched suitors to tickle my fancy.
But Enemy's offer how it paled,
Once the King's was revealed.
An offer so simple, just one sip,
Of living water poured on my lips.
A satisfying sip it was, indeed!
I beckoned him for more.
Feeling the life it quickly brought, 
To my poisoned soul in deep distraught.
The more the King poured out His drink,
More poison was exposed.  
How nothing but destruction and death
Had been Enemy's plan with every sip!
I dropped to the floor, 
Frightened, afraid.
Wickedness around me, guilt and shame.
Stripped of everything, I was naked, exposed
Aware of the poison sickening me.
Vulnerable was I, unable to speak
A newborn child, helpless and weak.
My wandering heart, selfishness, pride,
Envy, impatience and accusation.
My ugliness, intolerance and evil thoughts,
Unveiled before Him, my innermost parts.
He knew me more than I knew myself
And still carried me into light.  
Wiping the tears streaming down my face,
Lovingly holding me in sweet embrace.
As His comforting words soothed my heart,
He invaded my empty soul.
Starting a romance like none other,
Rescued, my savior became my lover.
I approach His throne with confidence,
Unlike the time before, 
Knowing He extends His arm,
As I approach the opened door.
He leads me to His chamber,
Where I recline in deep embrace,
And He tells me I am lovely,
Because of His sweet grace.  








No comments:

Post a Comment